:: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 08:29:40 +0000
Michael Dec <grepwood@???> wrote:

> On 2015-02-02 17:47, T.J. Duchene wrote:
> > Funny thing.  I hear a lot of complaining about systemd, and yes, i
> > think some of it is justified, but consider this...Rather than
> > joining
> > the project and steering it in another direction, or creating
> > patches to fix what you do not like, everyone is just standing about
> > complaining.  Now this is not to say that Devuan is sitting on its
> > hands.  No one here, minus FreeBSD seems to me at least to have a
> > clear action plan.  You cant avoid systemd forever, and at some
> > point compatibility is going to have to be provided.
> >
> > Better now than later.  I think FreeBSD and uselessd have the best
> > approaches.
> >
> > Just for the case of devels advocate (yes deliberate pun)  systemd
> > can be compiled with an absolute minimum.
> OpenRC works just fine and it has all the rings and bells you would
> want from systemd:
> - logs (lol, welcome to 1980?)
> - cgroups management
> - parallel service start
>
> Interestingly, cgroups can be disabled and this is why this init runs
> on BSD, these just don't exist there.
> It really doesn't hurt to have a familiar software stack across
> different operating systems. Time wasted on retraining is time you
> could've used to do actual work. Especially if there's literally no
> benefit to said retraining.

Point of information: OpenRC itself cannot respawn or manage daemons.
No problem, have managed daemons managed by daemontools or
daemontools-encore, either of which can easily be started by OpenRC.

LOL, this kind of easy solution is what you get when your tools do one
thing and do it well :-)

SteveT