:: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Author: t.j.duchene
To: Vlad, dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
On Monday, February 02, 2015 07:57:23 PM Vlad wrote:
> Hey Lennart if you dislike Devuan that much feel free to go back to
> freedesktop.org or whatever?

You misunderstood what I meant. I was in a hurry, and I admit, I should have
phrased it better. Mea culpa.

The reality is that no matter what anyone does, systemd is here to stay, and
it is likely going to be a long term issue, requiring a long term solution.
Consider that upstream projects entirely outside of Devuan's control are going
to be aiming dependencies on systemd. Gnome already does, and there are
plains for KDE to take a similar path.

There is no escaping this fact of life. Linux as an OS is developed in a
hodgepodge of distributions. The reason systemd has found such wide adoption
is that it simplifies their work. As long as distributors use it, more and
more project developers are going to create dependencies on systemd.

Unless Devuan intends to drop or fork every single piece of software that
decides to use systemd's facilities, it's going to be a war of attrition as
things go on, no matter the arguments against systemd.

Unless systemd implodes of its own accord, which is unlikely - Devuan is
probably going to have to provide some form of compatibility in the future.
This will be the case, regardless of how you or I might feel on the subject,
especially if kdbus gets integrated into the Linux kernel. If that happens,
it might as well be "game over" for systems that do not provide at least a
shim.

I think that uselessd or FreeBSD's compatibility projects are probably the
most likely solutions.