:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: hellekin
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 09:16:40PM -0300, hellekin wrote:
> One of the stated goals is to continue the Debian project with insisting
> on a diversity of approaches, and not closing any path, provide
> developers with a base GNU/Linux distribution they can build upon, and
> sysadmins with a base GNU/Linux distribution they can rely on. I think
> there may be a technical issue with the first goal as some technical
> choices are incompatible between each other, and maintaining all choices
> may be more work that the actual first goal of providing a Jessie
> without systemd as the default init-and-then-some.
>
> Anyway, I tend to agree with the points stated so far.
>
> As for a Devuan Constitution, I would like it to mention its adherence
> to software freedom--as a technological ideal, not just open-source
> efficiency. Someone mentioned dropping support for contrib and
> non-free. I would support that.

contrib and non-free have been quite useful for me.
I enable them for
(1) kernel firmware (I have one laptop that works with ath5k and i915 but
needs ethernet firmware; a desktop that needs ethernet and wireless
firmware; and a second laptop that needs ethernet, wireless, and radeon
firmware.)
(2) microcode updates
(3) dosemu (which is in contrib because it needs FreeDOS or a non-free DOS,
and FreeDOS requires OpenWatcom or a non-free compiler to build).

I'm using Jessie because Motif moved to main, so that's not an issue now.

I also regularly install a few other packages from contrib and non-free.

None of these currently would differ, but when Devuan starts maintaining
its own kernel I'd be worried about relying on Debian's firmware packages.

> ==
> hk

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham