:: [Frei0r] debianize it -- was Re: I…
Author: Robin Gareus
To: frei0r
Subject: [Frei0r] debianize it -- was Re: In the works...
Hi Jaromil,

Getting a bit OT here:

On 07/10/2012 12:09 PM, Jaromil wrote:
> I find it very sad to see how Debian is going: definitely the
> multimedia part of it is not well curated

Is it? Still?

After the debain pkg-multimedia team was established a while ago, the
situation has improved a lot; more so WRT to pro-audio that pro-video,
though. NTL, Debian is IMHO one of the best distros for serious,
professional A/V work these days.

It is still lacking a bit on the video side of things, part of the
blame there is due to the DFSG complicating things but the situation
is more complex..

[..]

> Debian, which is unresponsive

That depends from maintainer to maintainer and was one of the reasons
the debian-pkg-maintainers umbrella has been created.

The current state of frei0r and freeJ in debian is indeed dismal at
best. Great to hear that IOhannes took the initiative. Jonas already
jumped onto it. If more man-power is needed I'm happy to contribute as
well.

> and doesn't provides facilities to test builds (unlike launchpad)

It certainly does. It's called Debian/unstable aka "sid" :)

For more experimental stuff there's Debian/experimental. You can also
setup a build-system on your own machine(s), although the latter is
admittedly a major task compared to the click-and-go launchpad.

BTW, the debian packaging and build system perfectly integrates with
git. Actually pretty cool to use. Knowing you, I know you'll like it
:) Once set up will make future updates and releases trivial.

Cheers!
robin