:: Re: [Bricolabs] Access Space is one…
Author: John Hopkins
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] Access Space is one of "Britain's New Radicals" (according to NESTA and The Observer)
On 2/21/12 04:39, shu lea cheang wrote:
> hi, i do want to echo jaromil's point on Autonomous Zone being an old concept.

Sure, sl, his encapsulation is dated, but I would argue that the concept of
interstitial regions -- between areas where cultural/social activities are under
protocorollary control (and thus under feedback/feedforward 'regulation' and
observation) -- are spaces where more innovative practices can germinate and
grow. When those same practices are in view of (come under the observation of)
wider social command-and-control systems (cultural patrimony orgs, gov't grants,
lottery money, etc) certain dynamics arise. In principle I think this comes
from the idea that a social system is, in essence, an accumulation of protocols
which inherently 'draw lines' on human behavior: this is acceptable life
expression, but that is not. Innovation occurs at the edges marked by those
lines. Operating fully inside those lines means that one is not innovating, but
merely surviving according to the punishment/reward system that is part of the
way a social system encourages participation in it alone. Operating fully
outside those lines is a guerrilla action which can provide an alternative
pathway (hehe, "Sendero Luminoso" eh?) but exists at great risk to personal life...

Jaro -- war zone, to be sure: so tactical and strategic knowing is necessary (a
meditation on Sun Tzu beforehand can go a long way to c.y.a (cover yer arse!))
When participating at all in the social system (which is at least some, all of
the time), we are in that zone anyway, no possibility of totally removing
oneself from it... so, best to gird up w/ some good armor!

But yeah, it's a sliding scale, where one places one's activities, with inherent
risks and opportunities... each to her/his own path, all we can do is share
experiences from those paths and go from there...

James -- I did feel a bit like a wet-blanket after I sent that note, but even
still I would rather thank you for your practice of diy and your network ethic
which you are operating on and sharing here. Somehow, I feel from my perspective
that shouting out a warning is more appropriate than kudos for stepping deeper
into a minefield! Not assuming you are stupid or anything, just that with my wn
personal experience with money&art, I've never seen evidence running counter to
your countryman's Willy Blake's observation: "Where any view of Money exists,
Art cannot be carried on, but War only”

so it goes... but always good to hear any personal experiences from the trenches ;-)

cheers
jh