:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Does the kernel ha…
Author: sayhi2guy@tiscali.co.uk
To: dynebolic
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Does the kernel have rt optimizations?
>----Original Message----
>From: jaromil@???
>Date: 11/09/2011 12:

32
>To: "dynebolic mailinglist"<dynebolic@???>
>Subj: Re:

[dyne:bolic] Does the kernel have rt optimizations?

Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Rick Bolen (GM) wrote:

>> I'm very happy to see

this update.

>Hehe :) I'm surprised and happy to see all our

community stays around
>even without updates for 5 years and then all

of a sudden we are all
>still here and the spirit of this place is

alive :D

>> Q:
>> Is the 3.0.1-libredyne kernel a real-time kernel?
>

>no! one of the reasons why we call it beta still.
>

>at the time of

dyne:II I was more up to date with this kernel
>development and out of

knowing the options around I've adopted the
>great patches that Con

Kolivas was doing. Unfortunately he left the
>scene now and I don't

know anymore which are the best realtime patches
>now.

(snip)

The
good news is that, whilst an rt kernel is best, a lot of rt capability
is in the mainline kernel now & you should be able to run jack in
realtime on a stock kernel ( http://jackaudio.org/realtime_vs_realtime_kernel
). I have done so on several distros ( not tested it yet on the latest
d:b - hoping to download it tonight.)

I guess it all depends on what
you are doing & how low you need your latency to be.

regards

Guy