:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Does the kernel ha…
Author: Jaromil
New-Topics: Re: [dyne:bolic] live-boot script
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Does the kernel have rt optimizations?

hi Rick,

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Rick Bolen (GM) wrote:

> I'm very happy to see this update.

Hehe :) I'm surprised and happy to see all our community stays around
even without updates for 5 years and then all of a sudden we are all
still here and the spirit of this place is alive :D

> Q:
> Is the 3.0.1-libredyne kernel a real-time kernel?

no! one of the reasons why we call it beta still.

at the time of dyne:II I was more up to date with this kernel
development and out of knowing the options around I've adopted the
great patches that Con Kolivas was doing. Unfortunately he left the
scene now and I don't know anymore which are the best realtime patches
now.

anyone has ideas? should we ask the folks at pure:dyne or
linux-audio-dev?

> I've successfully booted this distro from usb (built using
> unetbootin) on several machines already.

great! I hope you enjoyed, your feedback is welcome.

this script is still useful BTW
https://raw.github.com/dyne/dynebolic/master/dyneIII/install-usb-live

the difference with using unetbootin is a nice one which no other
distribution has in this moment: having a ISO file in a FAT32
formatted usb stick which BOOTS that ISO. means the USB stick is
bootable but you can also carry it around to copy the ISO from it and
burn a CD.... as nomadic as possible ;D

FYI this was achieved by a customized script in debian-live premount:

https://github.com/dyne/dynebolic/blob/master/dyneIII/live-init-scripts/scripts/live-premount/dyne_iso_explorer

...and as the announce said, that's just the beginning ;)

ciao