:: Re: [dyne:bolic] RASTASOFT operatin…
Author: jaromil
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] RASTASOFT operating system - dyne:II GNU/Linux 2.5.2DHORUBA - final release

hi Norman,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 12:06:08PM -0400, Norman White wrote:

> Is there a free-software-licensed or OSI-licensed 'source code-file
> navigator' that allows one to navigate any source code that the gcc
> suite supports?

I use Emacs as an editor, which provides 'ctags' and 'ebrowse' for
such purpose. I don't really use it a lot (takes time to get used to
the keys), anyway ctags is comfortable.

Most programmers i know use Vim and that has also a similar extension,
i think is called 'cmode'.

> In particular, I'd like to be able to 'arrow-key-navigate' -- or
> 'mouse-click-navigate' my way through linux kernel source codes
> (functions, macros, links and 'include-references') as I would
> generally do with files on my hard disk and also similar to html or
> xml tree navigator programs.

the above is not really fit for mouse navigation, i believe there
might be other tools for that, maybe even web-based?

> I have the dyne kernel module always loaded and I'm going to be
> going through the LFS sources too.

ok

> I intend to become intimately familiar with these file structures as
> I hope to be able to make valuable contributions to the life of the
> DynebolicOS.

your effort of having synaptics (and apt-get) into the dyne:OS will be
high priority on the list of features for dyne:3.

can i include you in the dyne:3 developers mailinglist? we'll soon
start a discussion there (still forming). the list is small and
involves only developers on invitation or at least with a brief
introduction. you should definitely be there.

ciao

- --
Jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: 779F E8B5 47C7 3A89 4112 64D0 7B64 3184 [ B534 0B5E ]