:: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to…
Author: Manoj Keswani
To: dynebolic
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to log in as user
Guy,

Thanks very much - I appreciate your help. Your instructions were very clear
and the solution worked first time with only two minor problems which were
easily fixed:

1. X would not start under the new user. This turned out to be a problem
with the /home/username/.ICEauthority file which was owned by root. A simple
change of ownership (via the root account - chown username:usergroup
.ICEAuthority) fixed this and,

2. Printer configuration would not work with an error in the Links browser
as follows:

Error: http://localhost:631 Permission denied.

Turns out that the CUPS server has to be running before configuration can be
done so I logged in as root and started CUPS (entered # cupsd) and was able
to start printer configuration. I will probably have to get this running at
boot for future use.

Otherwise all worked fine and I was even able to use sudo.

I think your instructions would be very useful on the d:b wiki as I think
there were a few other people with the same problem.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Manoj