:: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to…
Author: G_P
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to log in as user
Manoj Keswani wrote:
> Guy,
>
> Thanks very much - I appreciate your help. Your instructions were very clear
> and the solution worked first time with only two minor problems which were
> easily fixed:
>
> 1. X would not start under the new user. This turned out to be a problem
> with the /home/username/.ICEauthority file which was owned by root. A simple
> change of ownership (via the root account - chown username:usergroup
> .ICEAuthority) fixed this and,
>
> 2. Printer configuration would not work with an error in the Links browser
> as follows:
>
> Error: http://localhost:631 Permission denied.
>
> Turns out that the CUPS server has to be running before configuration can be
> done so I logged in as root and started CUPS (entered # cupsd) and was able
> to start printer configuration. I will probably have to get this running at
> boot for future use.
>
> Otherwise all worked fine and I was even able to use sudo.
>
> I think your instructions would be very useful on the d:b wiki as I think
> there were a few other people with the same problem.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Regards,
>
> Manoj

Hi Manoj

Thanks for letting me know this worked for someone else. I made a wiki
page called sudo using the contents of the email.

I had no problem with x. Perhaps due to a group I put myself in?? I
hadn't tried printer configuration but that is a great tip too. Why
don't you put both of those on the wiki. The wiki needs love,
especially for the latest 2.4.2 vesions. A lot of the stuff is about
the older 1.xx versions.

You could put the x problem under troubleshooting (
http://lab.dyne.org/TroubleShooting ) and start a new page about
printing ( http://lab.dyne.org/printing ) and then add a link to it on
the FAQ ( http://lab.dyne.org/DynebolicFaq ).

best wishes