:: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to…
Author: G_P
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] having problems to log in as user

Manoj Keswani wrote:
> -- snip --
>
> - On logging out and logging back in as the new user, I find that I cannot
> adjust, let alone see the soundcard mixer controls. Same for the network.
> When I try to adjust soundcard properties, I am asked for the admin password
> which I give and this is rejected. So, I can't use any of the software
> because I can't even access the basic controls. Hydrogen for example, is
> unable to start any of the audio drivers (such as ALSA or OSS).
>
> If I try to add the newly created user to any existing groups (using
> groupadd) such as audio, video or users, I get another error message saying
> "invalid numberic argument: audio".
>

> Manoj

Hi

This worked on dyne:bolic 2.4.2

I managed to get the admin password dialogue to work by setting up
sudo. All this needs to be done as root. After creating your user:

1) create a group called admin with the command:

groupadd admin

2) edit your sudoers file with the command:

visudo

find the line where it says 'uncomment to allow all people in group
wheel to run all commands'. Uncomment the line below (by deleting the
#) Change 'wheel' to 'admin'. Save & exit.

3) Edit the file /etc/group. Find the line for admin & add your user
name (if there is more than one name separate them with commas (don't
forget to add 'luther'!). I added my name to all the groups that luther
was in (I think you need to join the audio group to get real time
privileges & access the mixer)

4) Exit X & then totally log out. Log back in again & startx

After this your normal user password should work in the password dialog,
like in Ubuntu. I have yet to test this for persistence. If it does
not work, worst case scenario would be to save modified files and write
a simple script that copies the relevant files back.

Hope this helps. If any of the steps are not clear please ask & I will
try & explain better.

Guy