:: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil…
Author: jaromil
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] pure:dyne aka Evil OS - its no use to me

dear Eric,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 07:48:45AM -0700, Eric Tucker wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Ok I'm new to this kind of thing first mailing list I think? one never
> knows about mailing lists.

they are analogous to usenet in providing an open space for civil
discussion. there is exhaustive documentation on the "netiquette" here:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

even if you are new to them i can tell your honest attitude fits pretty
much here :)

> I find it odd though, how one person could ruffle so many feathers for
> the first time in so many years to the point of where you guys get so
> over defensive about it.

criticism is well accepted, but not insults. I intervened when our troll
started insulting members of this mailinglist and right after I
obviously became his target. personally i prefer by far to be attacked
myself rather than someone subscribed to this mailinglist and genuinely
interested in a civil discussion, as i am the host and i do respect the
importance of ospitality.

> However he was making some valid points about pure dyn that were worth
> discussing, at least I discussed it with him.

i don't believe it is possible to discuss with him on the basis of what
he has written. several things reported in his mails are false and aimed
to distorce the perception of this project.

dyne/freaknet as a community is slowly writing our history which will
answer the questions about my role within this collective project.

> The way I see it is that it is the overall projects loss to have any
> of us go.

this mailinglist is a peaceful place to discuss ideas, notice new
creations and exchange experiences. if it won't be reliable anymore as a
channel of communication it's a loss but not that big :) it is time
anyway for us to scale and re-define possibilities of partecipation
which will include all the people here and elsewhere that contributed to
lead this project to the point where it is now.

regarding my partecipation you can be sure that i'll still be active and
concerned about development of the dyne:OS system. We are just in the
step of scaling the effort, which is necessary as so far i've been the
only one reaching to mantain myself doing it, mostly not thanks to
donations but to my unexpensive life out of any market logic.

OTOH as you might now i'm also writing some of the software included in
this distribution and such a development claims my attention even more
than compiling other people's software into modules. Therefore we are
stepping in a more collective architecture for development.

In this step we are preparing documentation, the dyne.org foundation
will administer all funding and declare it transparently on our web
pages, which will be carrying more information soon about it.

> Again I will say think outside of the box and look at the bigger
> picture.

always a good suggestion :)

> Also what I see is a leader of this mailing list

i'm not a leader: i'm posting as anyone else and i'm not moderating
anything. i use my freedom here as everyone else.

> saying that it is not a support list but then this is the context of
> most of the post I see responses from and to.

unfortunately this is a problem. we have a bugtracking facility for
support on http://bugs.dyne.org which is also linked in most
documentation, but sometimes we get off-topic here.

it is clearly stated on the http://lists.dyne.org webpage and in our
license that we don't provide any support nor warranty for our software,
in the spirit of free open source software development, the support is
localized (not centralized here) and grassroot organized within
communities and/or by individuals engaging such a task.

everyone is free to provide support for dyne:bolic, modify, copy it,
employ it and even sell it.

if i spawned further curiosity about these novel way of dealing socially
with software development, let me point you the documentation that the
free software foundation is publishing on their pages at
http://www.gnu.org

as a last instance, let me suggest you have a look at the pure:dyne
mailinglist where you can propose your suggestions to well experienced
pure-data artists and developers. there you'll surely find more answers.

ciao

- --
(_ jaromil _)(_ http://korova.dyne.org _)