:: Re: [DNG] data wiring (possibly OT)
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] data wiring (possibly OT)
On Oct 20, 2024, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> Greetings
>
> (Labelled as possibly OT so I do not offend anyone who expects only
> computer stuff on here!)
>
> I'm in the process of drawing in electrical wiring into a new building.
> Wiring is for fans (ceiling and exhaust) and for LED lighting.
> [...]
> The LED lights are governable using a 0-10V control.
>
> For the LED light controls there is a three wire cable that comes off
> the fixture.
> I have been using 18-3 wire (sorry don't know what that is in the DIN
> system) (called signal wire in the electrical trade) and that matches
> the wiring on the fixture.
>
> So I want to install a bunch of sensors - - - there is one collection
> that is up close to the ceiling (well its only about 19' (5.8 m) from
> the ground). Think I will be using a microcontroller in some kind of a
> box with the sensors (NH3, T, dew point or relative humidity as a
> minimum) being close to this outer box. Should I drag in some of that
> 18-3 wire to be able to communicate with the microcontroller (to not
> only to the larger building controller but to allow outside logging)
> as I'm hanging stuff up or are there better options?

Assuming you're talking digital data transmission (e.g. RS485), I'd use
something with twisted pairs (cat3 telephone wire or cat5(e)/6(a)
ethernet cabling).

> (When I look at a pinout diagram on ethernet cable data is basically
> run on a pair so that gives me access to data trans and receive + a
> power cable and at 18 ga its far larger than most data cables which
> are at 24 ga iirc.)

Not really sure what you're trying to convey here -- "ethernet(tm)"
pinout isn't going to come into play, unless you're planning to hook
this up to a 10/100/1000BASE-T computer network.

--
|_|O|_|