:: [DNG] data wiring (possibly OT)
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Devuan ML
Subject: [DNG] data wiring (possibly OT)
Greetings

(Labelled as possibly OT so I do not offend anyone who expects only
computer stuff on here!)

I'm in the process of drawing in electrical wiring into a new building.
Wiring is for fans (ceiling and exhaust) and for LED lighting.
The exhaust fans are run using EC motors and the ceiling fans are also
DC (their control is a black box so there will be some experimentation
here!).
The LED lights are governable using a 0-10V control.

For the LED light controls there is a three wire cable that comes off
the fixture.
I have been using 18-3 wire (sorry don't know what that is in the DIN
system) (called signal wire in the electrical trade) and that matches
the wiring on the fixture.

So I want to install a bunch of sensors - - - there is one collection
that is up close to the ceiling (well its only about 19' (5.8 m) from
the ground). Think I will be using a microcontroller in some kind of a
box with the sensors (NH3, T, dew point or relative humidity as a
minimum) being close to this outer box. Should I drag in some of that
18-3 wire to be able to communicate with the microcontroller (to not
only to the larger building controller but to allow outside logging)
as I'm hanging stuff up or are there better options?

(When I look at a pinout diagram on ethernet cable data is basically
run on a pair so that gives me access to data trans and receive + a
power cable and at 18 ga its far larger than most data cables which
are at 24 ga iirc.)

TIA