著者: Steve Litt
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] C vs ADA : advice sought
o1bigtenor via Dng said on Mon, 30 Sep 2024 20:18:03 -0500

>So the question:
>
>if I were to want to choose between learning C (and likely adding C++)
>and learning ADA for programming microcontrollers and embedded systems
>what - -
>- besides amount of usage would you use to advise me - - - which
>should I learn (and why please (this is at least as important as your
>choice!!!))?
>
>TIA

It's not an either-or thing. I think learning C is a benefit to
anybody, regardless of whether the person actually uses it.

In my opinion it's also a must to learn either Python, Ruby or Lua as a
fast way of programming. C and Python/Ruby/Lua/(or Perl) are completely
different tools meant for different situations.

There's a problem with Ada, Modula[1,2,3], FreePascal, and Oberon. If
you use them, you're in a tiny minority, so help is harder to get, and
also it's very hard to get work in these languages. Now this doesn't
imply that, if it turns out that these languages are hugely superior,
they're not worth learning and using for your own projects. It's only
that I personally would require a higher level of confidence that
they're vastly superior than I would for a widely used language like
C++ (which I hate and don't use), Java, Go, Rust, Haskell (or is
Haskell now sooo 2021?), etc.

This is one reason I'm so anxious to have presentations on these older
languages at GoLUG: So we can see them in action, understand their
value, and decide whether to go the extra mile to learn languages few
know anymore. Ron from BCLUG gave a GoLUG presentation a few nights ago
proving the power of Google's Material Design system, so now I'm
exploring it. Next month he presents on React.

There's so much to learn, so we all need a compelling reason to
prioritize learning a particular language, system, methodology etc. I
really hope somebody (Didier perhaps) gives an Ada presentation at
GoLUG's December meeting.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com