:: Re: [DNG] C vs ADA : advice sought
Página Inicial
Autor: Hendrik Boom
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] C vs ADA : advice sought
On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 08:18:03PM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> Greetings
>
> The game thus far:
>
> 1. I asked why learn C vs python/micropython for embedded systems
> (microcontrollers + more)
>    There was a huge outpouring of learn C. (Thanks to those that
> responded.)

> 2. Then I was asking for what to learn C from.
>    Again there were quite a few responders (and I started digging into
> books on C) .

> 3. So I'm continuing my digging around and poking my nose into all kinds of
> exotic software
>    corners then I find that it is possible to use ADA for programming
> microcontrollers and
>    embedded systems and there is a great deal of built in 'safety' so I
> might be less likely to
>    generate poor quality code.

> So the question:
>
> if I were to want to choose between learning C (and likely adding C++) and
> learning ADA for programming microcontrollers and embedded systems what - -
> - besides amount of usage would you use to advise me - - - which should I
> learn (and why please (this is at least as important as your choice!!!))?

Once you know either of these languages the other will be easier to learn.
ADA is likely the better choice if you can choose the language to use.
It is easier to write correct programs in Ada than in C.

But C is much more widespread. And if you end up working for other people,
you are more likely to have to work on existing code written in C
than in Ada. And so you're more likely to have to know C than Ada.

C is harder to use than Ada; it is closer to assembly language, and has many
of the pitfalls of assembler.

Why is C more widespread if it's worse for most applications than Ada?
Because it was there first.

Why is Ada a better language? Because it was designed long after a lot of
experience with C and other early systems languages, and could benefit
from accumulated knowledge. I was in regular communication with some of
the designers back when they were putting Ada together. The primary
goal was to build a language that would help programmers achieve
reliable, efficient software.

Which should you learn? I'd advise both. They have very different
philosophies. Ada will give you a better idea of what should be possible.

Use Ada on your own projects; use what your boss requires when you're
working on his project.

On the other hand, if you'd like to get the widest picture of what kinds
of programming methods are possible, and are not concerned with
immediate efficient application, I'd recommend a modern variant of Lisp,
such as Racket, just to open your vision to a wider horizon. It can be fun.
It's another way of thinking. But you'll likely not find a paid job where
you're expected to use it.

-- hendrik