:: Re: [DNG] C vs ADA : advice sought
Página Inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] C vs ADA : advice sought
Le 01/10/2024 à 18:13, Dan Purgert via Dng a écrit :
> On Sep 30, 2024, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> if I were to want to choose between learning C (and likely adding C++) and
>> learning ADA for programming microcontrollers and embedded systems
>> what - - - besides amount of usage would you use to advise me - - -
>> which should I learn (and why please (this is at least as important as
>> your choice!!!))?
> At the end of the day, you need to be able to read and understand the
> Minimum Working Example ("MWE") code in the datasheets. And, well,
> that's going to be C.
>
> If you don't know enough programming in general to parse that MWE code,
> you're going to have a real hard time rewriting that into the
> "better(tm)" language.
>
> Once you can read the MWE in the datasheet, well, then by all means go
> off to something else if you want to.

    Fully agree. You will always need to know some C, even if you
program in Ada. The kernel interface is generally mediated by a C
library. Ada features a set of interfaces to other languages such as C,
C++ and Fortran, which allow easy Ada bindings to some system-calls
which you would need to invoke, such as IOCTL. Therefore, unless you are
programming for bare metal, you will always need some familiarity with C.

    However I warn you that C++ is not an easy transition from C. This
idea seems natural but it is an illusion. First the two languages have
diverged, meaning that C instructions compiled by the C++ compiler may
produce different results, and vice-versa for C++ instructions which
look like C. Second, C++ has a very steep learning curve and is a very
difficult language. Third it keeps, by design, all the pitfalls of C.
C++ was developped to implement in C all the OO features first
experimented in Ada, partly because there was not yet a reliable Ada
compiler. But I consider it was a bad idea from the beginning. I
attended a one week lecture on C++ in the 90's; I was enthusiastic the
first day, but got quickly the feeling it was a degradation of C.

    I know my words will shock the C++ afficionados. I admire very much
C++ programmers: they do a very difficult job. But I don't see any good
reason to do like them. It is possible to do a better job, simply by
using an easier, safer, and more expressive language.

--     Didier