:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: onefang
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
On 2024-09-21 10:55:32, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> There is some tiling window manager functionality implemented directly in
> KWin meanwhile. But I am not even sure whether Openbox or Fluxbox is a
> tiling window manager. Awesome is or has been and there were others as
> well, but I have no idea what is up to date. And KWin certainly is not a
> 100% tiling window manager.

In Devuan Daedalus at least, Awesome still has tiling functions. It's
flexible about that. That and being a fan of Lua is why I switched to
it.

On my second monitor I tile the various messaging programs I have to use,
though these days I've pruned that down to just Psi+. That monitor will
still automatically tile any windows I put on it.

On my main monitor I mostly use "fullscreen" windows. I put that in
scare quotes coz I hate the usual "fullscreen", which grabs your input
and wont let other windows above it. Maximised and titleless works for
me, then I can tab between them and other windows. Well, Windows-Tab, I
put that key to good use and use it for all my window control keystrokes.

Some games will not only switch to "fullscreen", they'll do it on both
monitors at once, either duplicating the image, or spreading it across
them both. Once I manage to regain control, first thing I do is
uninstall that game.

There are several workspaces I can switch to on my main monitor. Some of
them use a bunch of not maximized / not tiled ordinary windows, which in
that workspace I'll be using together. The second monitor has two
workspaces, but the second is just an unused spare. Again it'll tile
things automatically.

My music production workspace is a good example. I'm in the middle of
tweaking that at the moment, but it currently has Muse4 (I compile this
from source to have the very latest) as the "fullscreen" window. Catia
from KXStudio is the JACK patch bay, with easy access to the JACK logs.
I used to use QjackCTL for that, but I'm giving the KXStudio stuff a try
now. One reason is the third window, the Carla effects rack and
patchbay. KXStudio names all their programs with female names starting
with C. Carla is interesting, in that you can not only add a bunch of
effects to the rack, you also can patch between them and Carla's inputs
and outputs, so you could patch together a bunch of synths and effects in
whatever odd ways that suit you. With 64 inputs and outputs, plus the
ability to assign different MIDI controls and channels to different knobs
on the different effects, it's very versatile.

Which is another reason why I want to get my SpaceMouse Pro to act like
the joystick it really is. I have a joystick to MIDI program, imagine
six axis of control in the palm of your hand, 15 buttons around it, all
driving MIDI synths and effects controls. I think that would make for a
truly awesome musical instrument. Then add my actual joystick in the
other hand (this I have working now), with it's 4 axis and 12 buttons.

BTW, I've almost managed to get EVERYTHING routed through JACK. B-)

My web workspace usually has Firefox-ESR "fullscreen", but with QuiteRSS
running on the right side, and I can pop each one up as needed. Often
I'll open some RSS article in Firefox. Sometimes I'll open other web
browsers there. I'm tempted to tile these two, since web pages rarely
bother to use the full width of my main monitor. I suspect Awesome could
handle tiling just that workspace on this monitor.

My terminal workspace has a "fullscreen" Termit terminal running tmux
giving me lots of text windows, some of which ssh to servers that also
run tmux. Some of them run mc. One runs btop and multitail watching my
important log files. One runs mutt. KeePassXC runs behind Termit,
rarely need to pop it out front to deal with it, as it supplies
credentials to Firefox and ssh automatically.

My virtual worlds workspace just runs OpenSim viewers. Sometimes more
than one, but all "fullscreen".

Last workspace on the main monitor is just a spare for random things.