:: Re: [DNG] Printing without CUPS. Do…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Printing without CUPS. Does it still work?
Le 17/09/2024 à 05:36, terryc a écrit :
> As per subject and how do you set it up.
>
> I have a few headless servers and sometimes I need to see files/logs/etc
> printed on paper.
>
> I am still vaguely familiar with setting up
> /etc/printcap but after a few system upgrades, hardware changes and
> cups installations, a current lack a working example. So, f anyone has
> a exampe with remote printer sans cups, a look would be good.
>
> terryc.

    Don't remember well the printcap file, but there are some resources
on the Web. If this may help, you also need a print server. Maybe you
remember the print server was /usr/sbin/lpd and it comes with the CLI
/usr/bin/lpr.

    If you have CUPS installed, it comes with its own version of
/usr/bin/lpr; otherwise 'apt-file search bin/lpd' gives you a list which
contains the good old lpr package, and, what was probably a "new"
version, as by the name: lprng. There's also lprint which I don't
remember of.

    Not sure this answers your question though (~:

--     Didier