:: Re: [Bricolabs] We are all a lot wi…
Author: Rob van Kranenburg
To: Bricolabs
CC: Internet of Things Council, Gaelle Le Gars
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] We are all a lot wiser and not in a bad shape it seems.I
Hamish,

"I don't really know where the next leap forward in this story of tech-for-the-people is coming from, but the existence of communities like yours gives me renewed hope that it is coming soon!”

Yes, me too. And hope is what we need. As Bob Dylan sings: It is not dark yet, but it is getting there. So if we can all get back to feeling a bit lighter again we can take energy away from resisting and find a good wind. As we talked about open source soft and hardware on Bricolabs, in a global way with Felipe in Brazil and Venzha in Yogjakarta in the 2000s,

I wrote about it in
https://www.networkcultures.org/_uploads/notebook2_theinternetofthings.pdf
“ The term “Bricolab” was coined by the team at Coletivo Estilingue as part of the metaReciclagem or “metarecyling” idea being implemented in Brazil.25 Bricolabs is a collaborative narrative26 that can only be written in many voices, mine being only one. Three main threads of origin can be discerned: a strong Brazilian conceptual focus by Felipe Fonseca,27 Stalker and descentro.org , the realism ingrained in the Gnu/Linux hacking attitude of dyne.org, Jaromil and the expertise of Aymeric Mansoux, and the strong conceptual ethnographic focus on ways of organizing and linking to policy and research by Bronac Ferran, Matt Ratto and Patrick Humphreys.
There are over ninety people on the Bricolabs list28 and the names just mentioned are indicative of a way of thinking and practice. Says Felipe:

“Maybe Bricolabs are not meant to become an identity, but rather an open place for things to happen. Maybe Bricolabs already exist, and this name is only a way to map them”. “I think the real roots for that are before… in 1928 Oswald de Andrade published the Manifesto Antropófago - “cannibal manifesto”, posing comparing the development of Brazilian culture to the Brasindians habit of eating their enemies’ flesh once the battles were finished, in order to conquer the enemies’ strengths. From that to the Tropicália movement in the 60s and nowadays, when the few Brazilians who have internet access are among the three nations who spend more time online every week, when Brazil is among the first countries in amount of cracker attacks and - sure, when ideas such as MetaReciclagem gain ground and are developed all over the country. "

Then as I was invited to join EU IoT projects by Gerald Santucci I set up the IoT list.

I wrote about Council here:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8090451

I think, with the coming of open source AI and the opportunities there, not just the fears - it makes sense to try and grow a broad tech for people movement.

That is why I cc the IoT list to this mail to Brico. We have a call on September 23 16:00 CET: All very welcome!

RJ van Kranenburg is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86973311869?pwd=kaMTR9qLnbtaNHb3zfyokvtYkQt1WH.1

Meeting ID: 869 7331 1869
Passcode: 613930