:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Aug 08, 2024, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2024 at 8:52 AM Dan Purgert via Dng <dng@???>
> wrote:
> > [...] "expensive vs. cheap tool" analogy, etc.
> > Python = "Cheap tool" (It'll get the job done, if all you need is this
> > one thing)
> >
> > C/C++ = "Expensive tool" (It'll "hurt the wallet", but you'll have it
> > forever).
> >
> > I wasn't going to bite but you keep insisting so:
>
> Why is C/C++ so absolutely wonderful?

*IF* your intention is "microcontrollers as a hobby", then chances are
you'll eventually come up with an idea that doesn't work given the
constraints imposed by your choice of "learning environment". This
constraint could be "well, I want to use X peripheral, but the environment
uses it already"; or it could be "well, I want to use X chip, but the
environment doesn't support it"; or "I want to utilize the
Ultra-Low-Power mode" (etc.)

So, if all you know is Python, now you have to both learn C/C++ *and*
learn how to interact with the microcontroller.

If you're already using Arduino, you'll already know C/C++ (or at least
be familiar-ish with it), and all you're doing is learning how to interact
with the microcontroller.

On the other hand, if you're just at "well, I kinda know Python, and I'm
not sure if I want to get into microcontrollers yet."; then there's no
reason to not test the waters with Python, and see if you like it enough
to devote the time to learning C (etc.)

--
|_|O|_|