:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Aug 07, 2024, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2024 at 4:58 AM Dan Purgert via Dng <dng@???>
> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 06, 2024, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

>>> Ja - - - its more 'something else'.
>>> Commercially available systems are right bloody expensive and for even
>>> thesimple ones 3 figures is called 'reasonable' - - - garbage - - -
>>> its a temperature sensor, a humidity sensor, a 0-10V module and a
>>> microprocessor and the programming is rather crude so when I saw the
>>> prices I went - - - there must be another way of doing this.
>>

>> That's just "programming microcontrollers". Is this a one-off project,
>> or are you actually trying to make a hobby out of playing with
>> electronics?
>>

> Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - - - is that what electronics people are doing?

Depends on which area(s) of "electronics" you're talking about. Your
specific example of "some microcontroller with a handful of sensors" is
certainly just "programming the microcontroller" when it comes to
Python.

>> If the latter, just learn C(++) / Arduino. You're going to have to at
>> some point, so might as well just do it now.
>>
>> Why - - -
> If that were truly my thinking I would have to be running M$ Win - - -
> it is the predominant system you know.

Think of it from "real" things -- A Harbor Freight (or equivalent
"discount retailer" type store) set of tools for $5 vs. "Lifetime
Warranty Brand" for $40 (but otherwise "the same set" in quantity / size
option / etc).

If you need the tools for a random one-off job, as long as the tool will
work, there's no reason to not just get the cheap set. Who really cares
if the tooling is soft metal, or is a little over/undersized for
whatever it's supposed to be doing, etc. It'll last long enough to get
ONE job done (or well, a couple, but you get the idea).

If you're trying to start up a new hobby, and expect to be using these
tools every weekend; well, you're going to need that set of $40 tools
when the $5 set breaks / ruins something / whatever. Might as well
spend the $40 today instead of $5 today and $40 anyway in 2 months.

--
|_|O|_|