:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: karl
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Mon, Aug 5, 2024 at 4:53 PM <karl@???> wrote:

> o1bigtenor:
> > On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 3:48 PM <karl@???> wrote:
> > > o1bigtenor:
> > > Why not have a chroot with devuan 3 then.
> > Was hoping to NOT add a whole mess of other things to learn - - sorry.
>
> You can install a chrooted devuan with debootstrap, at least I used to
> do that all the time, been a while though.
>
> > > If it doesn't work, you might want to look into gentoo:
> > > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-lang/micropython
> > > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-embedded/esptool
> > > Gentoo has rolling realeases and compiles most thing on
> > > the local host, so it might be a little painful to use.
> > >
> > > Don't really know what esptool does, but shouldn't you be able
> > > to what you want via JTAG ?
> > >

> > Hmmmmmmmmm - - JTAG - - - lots and lots of stuff going on - - - again
> > it seems like a huge amount of new things to learn how to do to get a
> > whole 6 programs running.
>
> Well, welcome to embedded programming...

Behind all the pretty pics and 'its easy to make a light blink' there is a
whole galaxy of stuff - - -
most of which seems to be rather poorly documented - - - imo anyway.

> It seems that even if you use JTAG, esptool is involved somewhere;
>
> https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-guides/jtag-debugging/index.html
>
> And if you're only running some programs on the target,
> why not use an OS:
>
> https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/system/freertos.html

Well - - - mayu have to but, again, its one more thing to have to
understand and work through
the quirks and and and - - - so far I'm not sure I need to - - - so I've
been putting things off.
Maybe not the best procedure but I need to get some stuff done and instead
of trying to
everything 'perfect' - - - well I want to get things working. I have things
that need to be managed
and that's where I'm starting - - - likely a tough way to start but - - - I
don't have the time to spend
doing the diddly stuff so I'm jumping in with both left feet - - -

> There seems to be a lot of info about rtos and esp8266, e.g.:
> https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK
> https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp8266-rtos-sdk/en/latest/get-started/
>
> uPython and esp8266:
> https://randomnerdtutorials.com/getting-started-micropython-esp32-esp8266/
> it seems you can flash the target without esptool:
>
> https://randomnerdtutorials.com/flash-upload-micropython-firmware-esp32-esp8266/

That last item might just be the trick.

I have been using standard uPython docs and - - - well - - - that's what I
know so far.

Thanks for the bunch of ideas.

Regards