:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
o1bigtenor:
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2024 at 3:48 PM <karl@???> wrote:
> > o1bigtenor:

> > Why not have a chroot with devuan 3 then.
> Was hoping to NOT add a whole mess of other things to learn - - sorry.

You can install a chrooted devuan with debootstrap, at least I used to
do that all the time, been a while though.

> > If it doesn't work, you might want to look into gentoo:
> > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-lang/micropython
> > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-embedded/esptool
> > Gentoo has rolling realeases and compiles most thing on
> > the local host, so it might be a little painful to use.
> >
> > Don't really know what esptool does, but shouldn't you be able
> > to what you want via JTAG ?
> >

> Hmmmmmmmmm - - JTAG - - - lots and lots of stuff going on - - - again
> it seems like a huge amount of new things to learn how to do to get a
> whole 6 programs running.

Well, welcome to embedded programming...

It seems that even if you use JTAG, esptool is involved somewhere;
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-guides/jtag-debugging/index.html

And if you're only running some programs on the target,
why not use an OS:
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-reference/system/freertos.html

There seems to be a lot of info about rtos and esp8266, e.g.:
https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK
https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp8266-rtos-sdk/en/latest/get-started/

uPython and esp8266:
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/getting-started-micropython-esp32-esp8266/
it seems you can flash the target without esptool:
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/flash-upload-micropython-firmware-esp32-esp8266/

Regards,
/Karl Hammar