:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
On 2024-07-10 18:12, ashigaru53--- via Dng wrote:
> Hey All,
> I seem to remember someone commenting on not using KDE.
> The particular reason escapes me but could someone comment on what the
> problem with KDE is? Too many apps? Not secure?

I can understand why some people don't like DEs is general. KDE "suite"
with Plasma and all, is not a memory hog or slow. However, you could
make it slow by adding many resource hogs.

You can use KDE with any window manager you like.

I use Plasma without systemd nor networkmanager nor pulseaudio. It works
fine.

There is a problem I have with KDE, and that has to do with a bit of the
history of what the devs decide. They decided to follow QT's cycle and
spending effort moving to new QT release, and have argued that it will
pay off. Maybe it has. I don't know. What I didn't like is that they
seem to sacrifice polish (fixing bugs) for chasing the new QT. Or
chasing some amazing new paradigm of computing that is totally not even
asked for. This means that I have never ever had a perfectly working KDE
desktop. I think KDE 2 was the most bug free I've used. I've noticed a
steady improvement in this area since 5, with long standing bugs being
fixed. So maybe it has payed off.

Also some of the devs seem to have very strong opinion about what is UX.
It's not like Gnome where they limit options to the point of making
something less usable, but it is more of a "I graduated from uni and
studied UX. So I know best." type of comments that turned me from a
inspired user to a disinterested user. In other words, I couldn't care
less if the project disappeared.

I used to like Thunderbird, but have grown tired of useless changes.

Developers and orgs putting their own interests above those of their
users will create such sentiment. Why should I use their amazing
software? It's like social media concept of "followers" has infected
FOSS. That's not unique to KDE, but it is (was?) there somewhat and
annoys me because it is a waste of my time.