:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
ashigaru53--- via Dng said on Wed, 10 Jul 2024 12:12:54 -0400

>Hey All,
>I seem to remember someone commenting on not using KDE.
>The particular reason escapes me but could someone comment on what the
>problem with KDE is? Too many apps? Not secure? TIA,
>Charles

Hi Charles,

In 2013 I kicked all KDE applications and libraries off my computer for
exactly the same reason as I don't use systemd: Overcomplexification.
Many parts glued tightly together using thick interfaces, including
dbus. Also, it's got so much stuff interacting with each other that
it's a resource hog, and if your computer is at all flaky, KDE will
make it flake much more often. Imagine you've opened Chromium tabs for
Javacript piggy sites Buick.Com, Ford.Com, Chevy.Com, Jeep.Com and
Dodge.Com. In the best of situations your computer will be slow and
maybe glitchy. Now throw in the KDE resource hog, and watch your
problems multiply.

Another thing. With KDE, in for a penny, in for a pound. Let's say you
want the excellent k3b DVD burning software. The minute you install it,
you also pull in all the major KDE libraries.

My computer has 6 cores with 12 threads, 64GB RAM, and a very fast 1TB
NVMe drive. This computer could handle KDE without problem, yet I still
use OpenBox. With Openbox everything happens absolutely
instantaneously. With something piggier like KDE or Gnome there's maybe
a 1/10 second latency. Not a serious problem, but it doesn't feel
instant.

Sometimes complexity is a good tradeoff for benefits it bestows. I'm
glad my Jeep's fuel and spark are controlled by computer so that it
gets gas mileage and smog control unheard of before computerized
engines. But as far as I'm concerned, KDE doesn't enhance my workflow
nearly enough to endure the complexity. As a matter of fact, I think my
workflow is better with Openbox, but that's a discussion for another
day.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com