:: Re: [DNG] Ubuntu as an incus guest?
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ubuntu as an incus guest?
On 2024-06-28 09:47, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Don't shoot me.
>
> For certain specific tasks, I sometimes use Ubuntu as a qemu VM. How
> would it be using a Ubuntu incus container? Could I use apt to add new
> software with apt commands?

Of course you can use apt.

There are several differences between a container and a VM.
1. Containers share the same kernel.
2. Containers may not be as isolated as a VM. So if you are not on your
own metal, that may be something to consider.

I use containers on my workstation for file system isolation just so I
don't have to deal with incompatibilities and testing OS.

I use containers on my servers for a similar reason but also for
security. In this case, more care is needed.

LXC commands can give you a working Ubuntu container also.

$ lxc-create -t download -n [ubuntu-template-name]

See:
$ ls /usr/share/lxc/templates/

Simon