:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
On 5/18/24 21:47, golinux via Dng wrote:
> On 2024-05-18 12:29, Lars Noodén via Dng wrote:
>>
>> In some ways the campaign is still ongoing because I read articles
>> rather frequently which miscategorize systemd as an init system.
>> Perhaps that is something which can be addressed as a community by
>> calling out attempts to frame systemd as an init system.  If people
>> mistake it for an init system, there is less incentive to care and that
>> makes our community's task harder.  As more people see it for what it
>> is, then there may be more hands to help clean.
>>
>> /Lars
>>

> In case you missed it . . .
>
> The Linux Pro Magazine article about Devuan from June 2022 addressed
> many of the "forgotten" points mentioned above. It was quite a coup that
> they linked to archival resources that I thought would never see the
> light of day on such a platform! It was very gratifying to know that
> someone with a megaphone was paying attention. Details and links here:
>
> https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5093
>
> Please do share . . .

Thanks! It's good to see that one again. Bruce does make a mistake in
asserting that systemd was chosen in Debian by popular vote:

"But here's the thing and there's just no getting around
it: the 312s chose SHOULD NOT as their first choice. They
pointedly and explicitly say that S/GIC is a bad idea, their
only quibble is over Just How Bad."

­— https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=120652&p=576562#p576502

Steve mentioned a little while ago about Don Armstrong single handedly
choosing it over the more popular options in that TC vote. That tidbit
does not get the attention it deserves.

Also from the same debian.net account as above:

"Combatting revisionist history"
https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=120652

/Lars