:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
al3xu5 via Dng said on Wed, 15 May 2024 08:59:49 +0200

>Wed, 15 May 2024 02:10:14 -0400 - Steve Litt
><slitt@???>:

>> I didn't know about startpar. Thanks for the info. If startpar
>> existed and worked in January 2014, it eliminated any excuse the
>> "dd's" had for switching to systemd.
>
>It has been separated from sysvinit-tools at Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:15:02
>+0100, which means it already existed before...
>https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/startpar/startpar_0.65-1_changelog

In other words, poettering and the dds KNEW you could do (feature name
parallel-instantiation) with sysvinit, but withheld this info from the
general public and in fact lied ("you need systemd to do
parallel-instantiation"). When Don Armstrong cast his bragged about
tie-breaking vote for systemd, and before he removed posting rights
from me and many others, he knew this was a lie. Now I'm really pissed.

This puts sysvinit in a better light. Combine this with the short init
script Martin showed us, and my only remaining objection to sysvinit is
that the daemons need to background themselves.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21