:: Re: [DNG] What are you using for a …
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What are you using for a firewall/router
On 2024-05-02 17:01, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> https://www.fusionpbx.com/ is a great PBX based on freeswitch. I run it
>> on Devuan because no systemd. Can you have some systemd trying to be in
>> charge when customers are making phone calls. No. That just will not do.
>
> Thanks, Simon!
>
> There is even a Raspberry Pi version. So should work on ARM. Not sure how
> much work would be needed to get it running inside a Linux container
> though. But that may be less work than than setting up a PBX completely on
> my own. It may even be that no additional work is required. Not sure yet,
> the modular installation script is a bit scary. I'd of course review what
> exactly is done there or lookup documentation for manual installation.

Yes, do review the docs and the scripts.

The design is a good fit for a VM. You could get it to run in a
container of course, but then don't use the install script. You can use
it to get hints of what to do, but it will probably be different for a
container.

This is because FusionPBX works in the kind of unix way of not including
the kitchen sink. You need to configure all the services and networking.
The install script helps you do this. Do review it, because when you are
trying to figure out how to do __comply with X, or add support for X__,
the install script will give you a hint to what area needs changes.
FusionPBX doesn't try to take over management of everything. It's not
really a turnkey solution, but the install scripts try to make it seem
like that. It's gets you off on a good start.

https://github.com/fusionpbx/fusionpbx-install.sh/tree/master/devuan

You can see that I added the minor changes needed to support devuan. I
wonder if it still works. I'm still running my original installs. The
upgrades never caused me problems.

FreePBX is to Asterisk what FusionPBX is to Freeswitch. If you've used
Asterisk before and like it, then FreePBX is probably a decent choice. I
personally like the way Freeswitch is written and have really good
experience with performance on very low power CPU and little RAM.
Disclaimer: My last experience with Asterisk is from around 15 years ago.

Simon