:: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get ol…
Author: onefang
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: we all get old
On 2024-04-08 15:52:30, altoid via Dng wrote:
> Hello:
>
> On 8 Apr 2024 at 13:51, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > Most HTML-only messages ae not worth ...
> > ... sometimes I need to see the content ...
>
> I have used Pegasus Mail for almost 30 years now.
>
> One of the web's oldest/best email clients, being able to use it
> under Wine was the deal breaker that allowed me to move to Linux.
>
> I have always had an absolute dislike for HTML only email.
> In my view, it has become the scourge of the internet.
>
> Unfortunately, it has also become the de-facto email system for
> banks, public service companies, civil asociations, etc.
>
> Every time I need to view an email with a link for paying something,
> resetting a PW or anything such I have to open it through my email
> provider's web page in one of the browsers I have installed.
>
> A real nuisance.

I also use neomutt, with a plugin for opening URLs in my default web
browser.

What annoys me the most is that some of these URLs are hundreds of
characters long random letters and numbers. Obviously they have encoded
something in that, but hundreds of letters implies to me that it's not
just a "this is a UUID, look up the actual data" but they have encoded
actual data of some sort into it.

Hundreds of letters and numbers being used as some sort of identifier
means you are trying to have an individual identifier for every atom on
the planet.

This annoys me coz often the people that do this sort of nonsense are
running web sites that don't work so well on my heavily protected default
web browser (Firefox-ESR), so I have to manually copy paste it to some
other web browser, which often doesn't work coz "..." was embedded in
that really lengthy URL by mutt or the plugin, coz it's too long to fit
on my wide terminal. So even copy pasting bits of it at a time wont
work. Then I have to look at the email source code to try to ferret out
the URL.

Usually I'll try turning off some protections, or allowing certain
scripts, or something, but eventually some horrid web sites are just too
hard to work around, so then I try Falkon with no extensions, then either
give up or try Chromium if I have to. Which as you said, sometimes you
have to coz paying your bill is something you really need to do.