:: Re: [DNG] window manager fails to c…
Author: Haines Brown
To: Ralph Ronnquist via Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] window manager fails to connect to XServer
On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 09:37:29AM +1100, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:

> Firstly re ~/.xinitrc:
> 2) you could insert a line at the top, below the 5th '#' line:
>         pgrep -a Xorg >&2
>    and also, just above that "exec startfluxbox line", insert the two lines:
>         sleep 2
>     pgrep -a Xorg >&2

That I did with ~/.xinitrc. However I now discover
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. That is exactly like my ~/.xinitrc except now
I've modifed the latter. The sole operative lines in file were:

  if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
    for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
      [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
    done
    unset f
  fi

exec startfluxbox

> Those lines (assuming you have pgrep installed) will/should print the
> running Xorg command line, and normally look something like:
>     1815 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg :0 vt7 -nolisten tcp -auth ...

> That output will/should appear in the terminal where you run startx.
>
> In your case there might be a) no output, b) one line of output or c)
> 2 lines of output.

Actually there were many lines of output.

(DB) [libseat/backend/logind.c: 184] Coult not stat fs 22079
xf86EnalbkeIO: failed to enable port 0000-03ff (operation not
permitted)
18300 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp :0 vt1 -keeptty -auth
/tmp/serverauth.c XuJbWBof
xinit: connection to X server lost

> If (a), it means that Xorg has exited even before the script is run,
> and then your issue is firmly isolated to the Xorg startup. Perhaps
> something with the graphics (as tempforever noted), perhaps something
> with that barcode reader you seem to have connected, and perhaps
> something else. It may also be Xorg itself dropping dead before the
> script is run. (If (a) is the result then you will need to go one step
> deeper into the Xorg startup scripting to extract the start command)

Since there was a return I presume the script runs

> If (b), it suggests there is something with some script snippet in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d causing Xorg to drop dead.

I don't know what the {DB) symbol refers to. No idea what fs 22079
refers to. Dos this indicate that authoritzation was successful?
Indeed there is a /tmp/serverauth.Xdt2KNkHmp. It holds a
MAGIC-COOKIE, so I suppose the process got this far. At what point in
the process is authorization sought?

> If (c), it suggests firmly that there is something with the fluxbox
> startup. Either that something causes Xorg to exit first or that
> fluxbox terminates (which also results in Xorg terminating [but
> usually not silently]).

I removed and reinstalled fluxbox with no luck. Maybe I should do that
with xorg.

> The reason for viewing the Xorg command line is so you can try that
> directly as command and then its stderr output, if any, will come
> directly into that shell rather than being captured by startx and
> whatnot.

Does not seem to be what happened. I got a return much more.

I look at ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.log and see tne line

    (II) seatd_libseat opened graphics: /dev/dri/card0 (13:13)

does this indicate the display was accessed? The end of the file
reads

    [488803.808] (II) modeset(0): using drv /dev/dri/card0
    [488803.808] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
    [488803.808] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
    [488803.808] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"

So the frame butter is loaded. Is this to be expected? Thing stop at
this point. $ lsmod does not see fbdev*

--

     Haines Brown