:: Re: [DNG] window manager fails to c…
Author: Haines Brown
To: Ralph Ronnquist via Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] window manager fails to connect to XServer
On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 09:37:29AM +1100, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:

Ralph, we seem to have different systems.

> Firstly re ~/.xinitrc:
> 1) is there something in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ?

This file does not exist on my machine and never did

>    One possibility is that it has a script fragment that causes Xorg
>    to exit prematurely.
> 2) you could insert a line at the top, below the 5th '#' line:
>         pgrep -a Xorg >&2
>    and also, just above that "exec startfluxbox line", insert the two lines:
>         sleep 2
>     pgrep -a Xorg >&2

The line exec startfluxbox occurs in my ~/xinitrc. Could I implement
your suggestsion for that file?

> Those lines (assuming you have pgrep installed)

I do have the package procps installed which provides the pgrep
command.

Your analytical suggestions make good sense. Can I implement them for
~/.xinitrc. Any reason that would not work as well?

> If (a), it means that Xorg has exited even before the script is run,
> and then your issue is firmly isolated to the Xorg startup. Perhaps
> something with the graphics (as tempforever noted), perhaps something
> with that barcode reader you seem to have connected, and perhaps
> something else.

Barcode reader connected? Definiately do not have a barcode reader.
I have only a document reader connected, but it is not for barcodes.

> Also, to run Xorg requires the running user to have access to the
> input streams (/dev/input), to the VT control (/dev/tty0 and /dev/ttyN
> wherein Xorg starts), and to the graphics (typically /dev/drm/card0).
> That access is ensured either by appropriate file mode settings for
> the device nodes concerned or partly via some daemon that mediates
> access (seatd or elogind+dbus).

I do not have /dev/drm/card0 but rather /dev/drm_dp_aux0. On my old
machine (about four years old?) there is no /dev/drm* at all.

> Perhaps that can lead you closer to the core problem...

Certainly sound like it would.

--

     Haines Brown