:: Re: [DNG] Food for thought?
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Food for thought?
On Friday 16 February 2024 at 21:43:19, karl@??? wrote:

> Not everything in Linux/Unix is a file.
> Examples:
> . network devices
> . sysv ipc

Indeed - I have always found the absence of network interfaces under /dev
quite strange.

Admittedly, we have things like /dev/tcp and /dev/udp, but these are only
connections to the configured interface, with an IP address etc - they're not
the hardware device itself.

I've always wondered why network interface hardware doesn't exist under /dev
in the same way as sound cards, USB serial ports, the keyboard, etc do.

Antony.

--
You can tell that the day just isn't going right when you find yourself using
the telephone before the toilet.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.