:: [DNG] Food for thought?
Author: sawbona
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Food for thought?
Hello:

I came across this paragraph while reading (and trying todigest) what
I think is an interesting article* by one Liam Proven at The
Register:

[quote=Liam Proven]
Today, the Wayland enthusiasts like to talk about how they are
modernizing the Linux graphics stack. But Linux is a Unix, and in
Unix, everything is meant to be a file. So any Wayland evangelists
out there, tell us: where in the file system can I find the files
describing a window on the screen under the Wayland protocol? What
file holds the coordinates of the window, its place in the Z-order,
its colour depth, its contents?
[/quote]

-------
Forgetting the history of Unix is coding us into a corner
The lessons of yesteryear's OS are getting lost in translation
Liam Proven
-------

See: https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/16/what_is_unix/

Best,

A.

* maybe only because of my IT illiteracy