:: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some st…
Author: sawbona
To: Dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Sysvinit support by systemd and debian
Subject: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some strong disagreement in Debian regarding usrmerge
Hello:

On 30 Dec 2023 at 5:01, Lars Noodén via Dng wrote:

> ... IBM picking up (or being tricked into sponsoring) the
> decommoditization attack ...

IBM?
Tricked?
Right ...

Just like Mike Lynch tricked HP into dropping an absurd 8.0 billion
for Autonomy to then write off a huge chunk of it?

8^D !!!!!!!!!!

> ... this new scale at least some minor coordination ...

I beg to differ.

Not at all 'minor'.

In my opinion, what is needed is Devuan ie: whoever runs the show, to
clearly define and set a course of action.

And then see that it is followed, to the letter.

To get the idea across in a more graphic manner:

Devuan is *not* a ship safely moored at harbour.

It is a ship with a skeleton crew, barely any fuel in its tanks,
sailing too close to a reef infested coast with a pack of enemy
submarines paitiently waiting for it to move into open sea.

It is in dire need of accurate charts and officers (captain/1st
mate/navigator/engineer) to whom the crew and passengers can look up
and follow.

> ... many who can contribute with sysvinit scripts ...

Linux has tens of thousands of very capable users, the great majority
highly qualified.

There was a post here recently about a script or set of scripts that
would translate/interpret (?) systemd 'whatevers' to sysvinit scripts
in a straightforward manner.

If so, that would be *the*' solution.
If not, I'd say that is exactly what Devuan needs.

ie:
systemd 'whatever' in ----> sysvinit scripts out.

It must be an *integral and systematic* solution.

> ... getting onboard with that aspect of the development process

Needs what I mention above:

"... accurate charts and officers (captain/1st mate/navigator) to
whom the crew can look up an follow."

Thanks for your input.

Have a Happy New Year.

Best,