:: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Alexandros Prekates
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] (runit) Can emacs daemon become a user service ?
On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 19:10:27 +0100
Lorenz via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Il giorno gio 7 dic 2023 alle ore 17:19 Alexandros Prekates
> <aprekates@???> ha scritto:
>
> > Thank you for the reply . I think for the time i will start
> > emacs daemon as a system wide script.
> > But general i want to ask whether for a service management system
> > in theory should matter if it handles user services or system
> > services .
> For runit's runsvdir (the component that does the supervision) it
> doesn't, and the same goes for daemontools and s6, they are all
> modular.
>
> > Why an 'init system' that initiates certain system wide services and
> > supervise them would be different from an user init system that
> > initializes user services and supervises them ?
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding: when I write init, I mean PID 1,
> while you probably include everything that is shipped inside the
> runit package (?).

With my limited relative knowledge from what you wrote i get the
impression that the obstacles for runit to initiate - manage user
services are (or at least seem to me) few (althought you seem to think
that is not easy ). Mainly how to interoperate with a login or seat
manager in order to initiate (user-init !) services on foouser login and
terminate the foouser services when foouser logs out.
So what is the biggest stumbling block ?
A login manager should start a user-init like linux kernel
starts a system-init and login manager when accepting a terminate
signal should stop the user's init which will take care of stopping
the user's services gracefully. In that case you get two runit instances
that could possible be unrelated. A system one and a user one.

Alexandros.