:: Re: [DNG] upcoming usr merge requir…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] upcoming usr merge requirements
o1bigtenor via Dng said on Mon, 27 Nov 2023 06:34:38 -0600

>Greetings
>
>Background:
>Reading about the upcoming necessity of moving to 'usr merge'.
>
>My boxen (for at least the last 12 years if not longer) I run separate
>partitions for (last number of years only this new one) /efi, /boot ,
>/root (yes I know its a redundancy but it gets the label of /root ),
>/swap, /usr. /var, and /home. (Not going into the
>reasoning for such.)
>
>Question:
>What am I supposed to do so that my system will continue to boot with
>this change
>to /usr merge?
>
>(What I've read so far is that people - - - well they just do it - - -
>- well what are they doing?)

Hi o1bigtenor,

I'm speaking for Linux, not for the Debian or Devuan packaging...

If you choose to have your /usr on a separate partition mounting on
mountpoint /usr, it should be no problem at all because your initramfs
will boot off its own OS, and then mount /dev/sda5 /usr, and then
pivotroot back to the hard disk, which now has /usr mounted in the
correct place. No big deal: It's been done for years: Long before
usrmerge.

Now of course if a specific distro's packaging system and installer has
a problem with such a setup, you'll need to do some DIY on that distro.
But I doubt even Debian is stupid enough to seriously bork this
customary technique.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21