:: Re: [DNG] upcoming usr merge requir…
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] upcoming usr merge requirements
On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 10:18 AM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:22:20 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> <CAPpdf58rM13DTXhy1q3+GNm=iytR+YvgnF0ettfMYgSt8rnwZw@???>:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 6:45 AM Martin Steigerwald
> > <martin@???> wrote:
> > >
> > > o1bigtenor via Dng - 27.11.23, 13:34:38 CET:

> > > "/usr" needs to be on the same filesystem as "/". It cannot be on a
> > > separate filesystem / partition anymore.
>
> ..an hard No on my part.
>
> > > Then you can install the package "usrmerge" to do the merge.
> > >
> > > Do not try to switch to install "usrmerge" package before having
> > > /usr be on filesystem for /.
> > >
> > > That is what I know at least.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile converted three machines by installing usrmerge package.
> > >
> > So - - - - for my system with not only each partition being separate
> > each partition is on a separate disk (Actually each partition is on a
> > raid 1 array (SDD) except for home which is on a raid 10 array (HDD).)
> > I will need to reinstall AND NOT have a separate /usr partition.
> >
> > After that reinstall is completed can I use the usrmerge.
> >
> > Is that my process?

I've read all of the messages, read all of the supporting docs offered - - -
you know - - - - I think I'm more confused than before I asked the question.

I'm seriously NOT trying to drive anyone bananas but if there is something
coming up where I will not be able to boot my system unless I use this usrmerge
program what is it that I'm supposed to do to avoid this upcoming
issue - - please?

TIA