:: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right w…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Arnt Karlsen
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] email programs (??right word??)
On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 09:58:20 +0100, tito wrote in message
<20231126095820.552cf9da@devuan>:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:30:56 -0600
> o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 7:06 PM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???>
> > wrote:

> > > ..in my case, running disks too long, and then having to recover
> > > my email from a dead Netscape Communicator suite on a dead
> > > Wintendo 95 on my first pc, which worked just fine on
> > > S.u.S.E.-5.2 (and later Red Hat-5.2 thru 7.3 and Debian Sarge to
> > > Etch) where I went back to exmh with my email tree in Maildir
> > > format with formail, AFAIR.
> > >
> > > ..I usually automate those 2 with fetchmail and procmail, but I
> > > agree 'pressing a button' is wise with suspect hardware or
> > > software, avoids data loss.

> > > ..losing access to Devuan packages is no real problem, we can go
> > > sideways to e.g. Slackware and use alien to convert their claws
> > > tgz package to a trustworty .deb, or build .debs off their source.
> > > We only need people to set up those .deb build jobs.
> > >
> > > ..the bigger problem is sneaky changes in Debian packages posing
> > > as Devuan packages because we trust them too much. Can also
> > > happen upstream, e.g. in claws git repository. All email
> > > projects going down at the same time, is less likely to happen.

> > > ..do that either way, you might come up with something new and
> > > better than we have now.

> > > ..horror stories that get enough sunshine, provides good recovery
> > > recipes.

> > > ..some of us needs to keep all records for legal reasons.

> > > ..see above on "either way." ;o)

> > > ..too late for that up here, it'll shine in mid January.

> > > ..great software can be destroyed very quickly by bad people,
> > > chk output of 'how-can-i-help --old |less ' for details, is a
> > > wee part of how we wound up here at Devuan and not Debian...
> > >

> > I'm finding the last dozen or so emails in this thread very
> > informative except - - - I'm feeling even more lost.
> > I'm trying to figure out how to get off the mz googly email
> > bandwagon but I'm even more unclear as to what I need to do to
> > achieve that.
> >
> > I'll start with a question (setup related):
> > if I have a number of email addresses that are being fed into claws
> > (sorry Steve but I do need some kind of destination!!!) can I set
> > them up for different amounts of time between mail 'pickups' (ie 1
> > address is every 1/2 hour,
> > a second is every 10 min, a third is 4 x per day, one is 1 x per
> > week and another is 2 x per month)?
> > Please advise?
>
> Hi,
>
> Why don't you install claws mail first? Then look at the
> Configuration Menu, it is all there:
>
> Create new account
> Edit accounts
> Preferences
>
> and you will see what options there are and you can setup everything
> at your liking.
> Then you can take a look at the various plugins if there is still
> some feature missing.

..one thing claws and its current plugins does not do,
is allow a different color scheme or theme for each
email address account, can clawsker do that?

..the 2 workarounds are set up different color compose,
reply and forwarding templates with big nasty reminders
on WTF-you-are-now, or set up an /home user for each
email address and use each desktop setup to provide the
big nasty reminders on WTF-you-are-now.

> After that if there is still something you feel the need to tweak
> install clawsker ( A claws mail tweaker).
> Done.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ciao,
> Tito
>
> The Accademia del Cimento (Academy of Experiment), an early
> scientific society, was founded in Florence in 1657 by students of
> Galileo, their motto was: "Provando e riprovando" = Proving and
> proving again (or Trying and Trying again).
>
> > (I have archives of some 15 GB of emails already - - - maybe not a
> > lot for some but enough to be not necessarily easy to have access
> > to the works.)
> >
> > What specific programs do I need to install/configure/otherwise to
> > achieve an independence from mz googly's emporium? (Please - - -
> > help me by = = = maybe best is - - what are YOU using? If you were
> > to redo this on your system - - - what would you do? What don't you
> > like from what you're using - - - what would you do differently?)
> >
> > Interesting and informative conversations so far - - - TIA for your
> > further responses!

Scenarios always come in sets of three: