:: Re: [DNG] IPv6 slow on one of my Li…
Author: Gregory Nowak
To: Michael S. Keller via Dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] SOLVED IPv6 slow on one of my Linux hosts
Subject: Re: [DNG] IPv6 slow on one of my Linux hosts
On Sun, Nov 19, 2023 at 07:49:04AM -0600, Michael S. Keller via Dng wrote:
> On 2023-11-18 10:28, Simon wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, in what way does it look “very different” ?
> > You should get an address (or addresses*) in the same prefix, though of
> > course some other information will change to reflect the different
> > assignment method in use. As I said, I’m no guru with this, so it’s of
> > interest to see how “stuff I haven’t done” looks (I’ve only used SLAAC
> > and static configs).
>
> Exactly as you described. The last 64 bits were very different, apparently
> reflecting the different assignment method. Now they incorporate some of the
> MAC address, where before they didn't.

That's as it should be if using inet6 auto in interfaces. If you would
prefer not to let every machine in the world uniquely identify your
machine's network interface, you can use a temporary random IPv6
address for outbound connections. To do that:

sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr = 2

If you want that to persist across reboots, create a file like:

/etc/sysctl.d/local.conf

and put the above line into it. Your interfaces will now get two IPv6
addresses, the ui64 address based on your MAC for inbound connections,
and a temporary random address for the last 64 bits used for outbound
connections.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net