:: Re: [DNG] RAM errors
Author: David L. Craig
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] OT: IBM z16 can have RGB (was: Re: RAM errors)
Subject: Re: [DNG] RAM errors
On 23Nov10:1258+1000, onefang wrote:

> On 2023-11-09 17:59:43, David L. Craig via Dng wrote:

> > > I must try asking my local PC supplier for one of those.
> > >
> > > I think my budget might stretch only to 24 TB RAM, though.
> >
> > Most PC vendors are not able to sell Z Series products.
> > Seven nines has to be a real need for the customers who
> > can make a profit despite the high TCO--guys like VISA
> > and Wall Street too-big-to-fail types. Note Debian runs
> > in virtual machines on that HW (and Devuan--systemd is
> > not required by Z Architecture).
>
> My super desktop isn't quite THAT super.

I'll assume you know about Dave Plummer. He addresses the
Why Are Mainframes Still Sold question in ~25 mostly dense
minutes at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouAG4vXFORc --
this is information with which all serious IT pros should
have some level of familiarity. I particularly like the
footage of testing for operational continuity during
earthquakes (as well as surviving shipment from the factory
to the customer).
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________