:: [DNG] To use a preconfigured (5.4 /…
Author: Mario Marietto
To: Mario Marietto via Dng
Subject: [DNG] To use a preconfigured (5.4 / Ubuntu) kernel config file to recompile the (5.4) kernel for Devuan.
Hello to everyone.

What am I trying to do ? I have enabled Kvm for armhf on my ARM Chromebook
with the kernel 5.4. Now I'm trying to configure iptables and nftables by
manually selecting every necessary entry inside the kernel file needed to
enable those features. I need to do this to configure a network that I will
use with qemu with the aim to virtualize FreeBSD 13.2 for arm on the
Chromebook.

Unfortunately I have recompiled the kernel several times,but I couldn't get
iptables or nftables to work. It seems very complicated to reach the goal
using this approach.

The closest (for my needs) precompiled kernel I found for Devuan is the
5.10,present by default on the Devuan 4. But I can't use it,because the
support for kvm for armhf has been removed on the kernel 5.7. So,I've been
forced to grab an older kernel. For sure,Devuan uses a kernel version lower
than 5.10,but it is not shipped on Devuan 4,but on Devuan 3...and it is too
low. Furthermore,Devuan 3 is much older than 4 and I don't want to use it.

So I've got an idea : If I get the kernel 5.4 config file of Ubuntu for
armhf and then I use it with the devuan 4,can this approach work ? I know
that Ubuntu has a release,more or less it is 20.04,that I can install on a
different sd card and then I can extract the kernel config file and I
should hope that it is already configured for the iptables and / or the
nftables. For sure that kernel file will not be configured for enabling
kvm,but this step is easier.

Can this approach work ? thanks.
--
Mario.