:: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
On Monday 31 July 2023 at 13:48:46, Marjorie Roome via Dng wrote:

> Since when has systemd had any authority over anyone but systemd?
>
> I can see that the systemd developers can ask that developers of daemon
> programs include a systemd service file but surely they have no
> authority to insist that developers not include sysV or runit scripts
> for packaging if they so choose?

They may not have "authority", but they have succeeded in getting a large
proportion of Linux distributions to switch to systemd, usually without any
choice for the admin to use another init system instead, and this simply means
that the application developers have reduced incentive to continue supporting
non-systemd startup scripts.

> How many daemons are there? I have 76 init files in my /init.d.

I would suggest a starting point to answer this question is to look at the
packages which Devuan contains, independently of Debian, and count how many
are daemonic services (is that a name? I think I like it).

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

- Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.