:: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Olaf Meeuwissen said on Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:24:47 +0900

>> I suggest we form a runit script committee and a sysvinit script
>> committee, each of which oversees a package of **all** init scripts.
>>

>Instead of forming committees,

Is the preceding reaction the best way of encouraging participation?

>why not contribute to the runit-services
>and orphan-sysvinit-scripts packages?

1) Because you give no instructions how to "contribute to the
runit-services" package, nor could I easily find it with a web
search.

2) Because I don't have the time to learn those things but I'd still
like to help.

3) Because forming a committee in no way subtracts from the
runit-services package. I'm pretty sure such a committee would work
closely with the runit-services packager.

4) Because I found no list of run scripts the runit-services package
already has.

5) Because I couldn't do all the testing myself, nor would anyone want
all the testing to be done by one person.

6) Because sometimes a group of individuals working closely has more
intelligence than the sum of the intelligences of each individual.
And the different people would certainly fill in for the knowledge
weakness of each other.

7) Because this committee might recruit volunteers who aren't
interested in being devs or package managers, thereby growing
overall participation.

> And contact the s6 and openrc
>maintainer to check how they would like to go about this

As far as s6, why would they care?

> ... add to the
>existing packages or put things in a separate package.

Which is what started this discussion: What do we do when init scripts
go away. Did you read the post you're replying to?

>Just a thought.

Is it just me who has perceived that when somebody says "just a
thought" or "just saying" it's usually sarcastic?

Your reply would have been much more useful if instead of what you
said, you told me:

* Where we can find the list of completed run scripts?

* Where can I find the list of run scripts that have been requested?

* Who is in charge of the runit-scripts package?

* Who are the testers?

SteveT

Steve Litt