:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Author: Андрей Сорокин
To: o1bigtenor via Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Hi, o1bigtenor.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:10:26 -0500 you wrote:

> Hmmmmmm - - - - - I stress X (X11) a lot running a large number of
> monitors and a very large number of virtual desktops - - - on
> Daedalus. Dunno why one would want to use X-multi-seat today when
> systems are quite cheap - - - - for a low stress user something like
> a 64 bit RaspberryPi has even resources to function reasonably well -
> - - imo and if not I've got a number of used
> machines here that work very very well on Chimaera or Daedalus - - -
> - can set up a user for a complete machine for under $500 - - - -
> even lower if a single monitor can be tolerated.

> Given that 'smart' phones are costing 2 and 3 times as much and it
> seems that most consider that not too expensive - - - - I don't see
> the need for a multi-seat
> system except perhaps in a training situation.

> (I understand that I'm arguing for my use cases but I don't know of a
> place that is using multi-seat so am trying to understand a want for
> it.)

There can be plenty of reasons! :^) -- Cost of hardware, of support,
habits, space occupation, using expansive hardware adds a lot of
spending, ... .

So, problem becomes "Broken!" rather than question "Why?".

Personally, i rather install old version of OS and will stop using
Internet.

> Switching between X11 and console - - - I can see that dying - - - -
> and am cheering - - - - that dying is what gives me the option of
> having far more than 20
> virtual desktops. Mind you there is no nice easy cli switch between
> them like there is between the X11 and console in the past (Ctrl+F#
> and (iirc) Ctrl+shift+ F#) but I find using a trackball or mouse and
> selecting from one of my group of virtual desktops is almost as easy.
> I do use different applications on a number
> of the desktops which then gives me an easy way of finding the one I
> want as well (running LXQT and running desktop switcher in one panel
> and application menu in another (and some sensor data monitoring in a
> third).

Some app.s can be run in CLI where others only in GUI. So, i have to
switch. In the X-sessions can be long running processes, so that
halting it is not acceptable.

> > So, prepare for the OS absence with the far more its degradation
> > from now till the absence. -- Just my opinion, of course.
> >
> Perhaps this is just X11 morphing a bit more - - - positively imo
> although I suppose it could be considered degradation from single
> monitor or maybe dual monitor with no use of virtual desktops - - -
> only consoles -
> - - - I still see a bunch of life in the 'old girl' yet (grin!).

Glad for you. :^)

Andrey.