:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixe…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixed system... --> bind mounts?
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:
> al3xu5 via Dng said on Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:00:07 +0200
>

>>Just another point: how to keep it after a reboot?
>>Should I put the bind mount in fstab?
>
> I don't know. Nothing in the 6 fields of /etc/fstab dictate order of
> mounting (field 6 dictates order of *checking*). I don't know if
> /etc/fstab is guaranteed to be done in order: If so put the bind mounts
> after the other mounts.

fstabs I use (and have been using for a really long time) usually look
somewhat like this:

,----
| LABEL=ds-md-root        /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
| LABEL=ds-md-usr /usr            ext4    noatime         0       2
| UUID=0858f078-5222-4002-91ae-c452ec4b6a0e       none    swap    sw      0       0
| LABEL=ds-md-sysdata     /sysdata           ext4    defaults        0       2
| LABEL=ds-md-home        /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
|
| /sysdata/var    /var    ext4    bind    0       0
| /sysdata/tmp    /tmp    ext4    bind    0       0

`----

It's also pretty obvious that the lines must be processed in order
because mounted filesystems can contain future mountpoints, eg, for a
'classic' example, mount some network filessystem as /usr and a local
one as /usr/local.