:: Re: [DNG] Debian: RH next target?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Mark Rousell
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Debian: RH next target?
On 27/06/2023 03:16, Steve Litt wrote:
> Mark Rousell said on Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:51:18 +0100
>
>> On 26/06/2023 12:05, mett wrote:
>>> I think it shows us what to
>>> expect for Debian in a few
>>> years.
>> The motivation for IBMHat to do this is obvious (self-damaging though
>> it may well be in the longer run). But I can't see any motivation for
>> Debian to do similar.
> I didn't see any motivation for Debian's kangaroo court replacement of
> sysvinit with systemd, but they did that eagerly. The people involved
> seemed very motivated, and it makes me wonder.

You make a very good point. Perhaps the acquihire already occurred, at
least in that context and timeframe.

I think it would be a more difficult sell to close Debian sources (to
say the least!) but it's not unimaginable.

I'm not familiar with Debian's 'corporate' structure. Does it have a
foundation or some other legal body with a binding constitution or
similar? Such documents can of course be changed but they do represent a
bump in the road to those who might like to alter the organisation's nature.