:: Re: [DNG] Building from source pack…
Author: Bill Purvis
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Building from source package
On 25/05/2023 16:32, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 25 May 2023 at 17:12:33, Bill Purvis wrote:
>
>> Distros such as Debian or Devuan supply binaries by default. When you
>> install a distro it comes with only binaries, but you can change you package
>> manager (apt) to include source packages as well.
> I find myself wondering whether you read the steps I wrote in my original email
> to explain what I am already doing:
>
> - apt-get install dpkg-dev build-essentials
> - apt-get source asterisk
> - apt build-dep asterisk
> - dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us
>
> Note the "apt-get source asterisk".

I sincerely apologise! Put it down to my advancing years (I date from
the early days of paper tape and cards etc.)

>> If you can track down and make a fix, it really doesn't matter. If I
>> encounter a bug with a 'distro' program, I will usually download the latest
>> source from the originator and build that. If the bug is still there, then
>> contact the originator - he will apply the fix.
> The whole point here is that the Asterisk developers require me to run a
> version of Asterisk with debugging and symbols enabled so that I can even
> demonstrate that there is a bug.
>
> Until I've done that, nobody's going to investigate or fix anything.

That's OK, but I suspect they would much prefer you to download their
latest source code and run that.
The teams prioritise issuing packages and because of dependencies, they
may defer a new release for quite
a while. If I were a developer I'd much prefer to have a bug report that
applies to the latest source,
even if the options differ from those used by the distributors.

Bill

| Bill Purvis                            |
| email: bill@???                  |