:: Re: [DNG] Building from source pack…
Author: Bill Purvis
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Building from source package
On 25/05/2023 15:33, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 25 May 2023 at 16:20:03, Bill Purvis wrote:
>
>> On 25/05/2023 12:44, Antony Stone wrote:
>>> So, does anyone know where to find the build options that were used by
>>> the binary package maintainer, so that I can apply the same ones myself
>>> and create a binary that resembles the "standard" one?
>> Obvious first step would be try running strip on the above executable.
> Agreed, however I wonder why that's not part of the standard Debian build
> process, if that's what the maintainers of the binary package do?

It's usually an option. The Debian/Devuan distros normally set that
option when they build
the binary packages, but original maintainers leave it as a non-default
option.

>> That would strip out all the symbolic info, which is normally done in the
>> the distros. If that doesn't get a match, then you'd need to download source
>> code from the distros and compile that.
> What do you mean by "download source from the distros"?

Distros such as Debian or Devuan supply binaries by default. When you
install a distro it
comes with only binaries, but you can change you package manager (apt)
to include source packages
as well. These are often a little out-of-date from those issued by the
original package maintainer,
so downloading the latest source from xyz.com will provide the latest
version. Debian maintainers
will look at these and prioritise implementation of the binaries for
distribution. Sometimes they
get them through pretty quickly, others are deemed to be less important
and must wait until time
allows. There are also problems with coordinating dependencies. A new
version of xyz may be available
from xyz.com, but if it depends on a specific version of pqr from
pqr.org then it may need to wait until
that has caught up to the required level.

> As far as I'm concerned, my distro is Devuan, and that gives me the Debian
> source package, which is what I started from.
>
> If you mean the upstream Asterisk project source code, I certainly do not want
> to try starting from there in order to debug a problem which I'm experiencing
> with the Debian binary - that introduces far too many unknowns to decide how
> to fix it.
>
>> Compiling that should (though I can't guarantee) and exact match.
> An exact match to the binary which gets installed as /sbin/asterisk by "apt-
> get install asterisk"?
>
> I'd love to see the instructions for that.
>
>> There are usually a host of options which can be specified when running
>> ./configure (or whatever the package uses) and this can only be determined if
>> you can establish contact with whoever handled the package for that distro.
> I have sent an email, waiting for a response.

I hope that they will put you in touch soon.

>> I've never felt a real need to pursue things to this extent. If I can track
>> down a bug and fix it myself, I'd submit it, but continue using my fixed
>> version, rather than wait for the fix to percolate through.
> Agreed, but that is not my question. I simply want to know that I'm starting
> this investigation from a compiled binary which is as close to the version
> installed by Devuan (which is where I'm seeing the suspected bug) as possible.
>
> Antony.

If you can track down and make a fix, it really doesn't matter. If I
encounter a
bug with a 'distro' program, I will usually download the latest source
from the originator
and build that. If the bug is still there, then contact the originator -
he will apply the fix.
Trying the fix the distro version is less effective, and usually all
they will do is pass on
any bug report or suggested fixes to the originator. Only packages
implemented by the distro
team members needs to be reported back to them. On the other hand it
doesn't hurt to point out
if you find the bug has been fixed in the latest source version.
Sometimes they need a bit
of a stir to raise the priority for some packages.

Bill

| Bill Purvis                            |
| email: bill@???                  |